Tuesday, October 25, 2011


Asters, pollinated, chewed, and in seed.

Crab spider on goldenrod.

Dew on New England aster.

Sassafras.

Sneezeweed.

Gerardia about to bloom.

I have read that the first 3 months of life are like the fourth trimester. My son hardly left my arms, or my husband's arms, during this time unless he was on the changing table. He was on the changing table about 24 times a day. We had 2 dozen size small pre fold diapers, so it was easy to calculate. Nothing else was easy to calculate because nothing else had an abacus as the diapers did.

"How often does he nurse?" someone might ask. I had no idea. I still have no idea though my short term memory is returning as my son allows longer blocks of sleep.

Blocks of 3 hours, mind you. I often hear, "Oh, my daughter slept through the night at 2 months." I think those who are willing to share are those who share success stories. Or, horror stories, of course. "My son did not sleep through the night until he was 3 and a half years old," related the gentleman behind the desk just after my husband and I signed away thousands of dollars on a used car. "We thought we were great parents, giving everyone advice. Then my son came along," he shook his head.

Weeks later I was back at the dealership signing away an additional $44.50 in DMV fees, and the the gentleman behind the desk repeated his story in the exact same words with the exact same emphasis on "3 and a half years old."

No comments:

Post a Comment