Monday, July 9, 2012

Butter Biscuits on the Bold Coast

Western Head Preserve, Cutler, Maine 
August 26, 2009
Maine Coast Heritage Trust, thank you.

I took a snack from my backpack. Butter biscuits, whichever brand, Le Petit Beurre or Leibniz, was on sale when we went shopping for the trip. 

All around were gulls, wind and sea sculpted firs, the reds and greens of northerly coastal plants readying for winter though it was summer's end, ravens calling from a hidden perch, the craggy, black rocks of the Bold Coast, and the smell of the water and my butter biscuits. 

How disturbing. How disturbing and artificial the scent. I can eat butter biscuits, whichever brand is on sale, because I can't tell the difference, one after the next. One has tried to distinguish itself by more deeply browning the edges of their biscuits. Nothing excites the primal appetite more than slightly burnt sugar and bread-foods. At least in the supermarket. 

Maine, possibly Randall Point, but my notes were poor
August, 26, 2009

Here I am on the coast. I could be eating fish over a fire with cranberries and huckleberries. I could be eating shellfish, but the signs have warned me away. I could be eating the foods around me, but I am eating butter biscuits made in Europe purchased in Princeton, New Jersey. Who knows where the package was printed. I could eat butter biscuits in January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, or December. I could eat cranberries now.

 Western Head Preserve

The diminutive plants of Western Head
Scale-like leaves protect the plant from desiccation and harsh conditions, but then again the plants are adapted to the harsh conditions, so perhaps they prefer the conditions.

I'll pass and have another biscuit instead. The sign warns of fragile vegetation, rare plants. I wonder if these species ranged down to Freeport, Maine, near the L.L. Bean store. I'll have another butter biscuit and check my field guides.

No comments:

Post a Comment