Sunday, December 16, 2012

What's brewing - a cough, a backache, and relaxation

I consulted Rosemary Gladstar' Herbal Recipes for some cough remedies and added additional herbs to her suggestions. She mentions ginger and cinnamon, as well as others. Her recipes include many more herbs than I typically use, so I enjoy the challenge. I added elder, lemon balm, elecampane to the mix.

"Noo, naahhh, nohhh," coos Beren when I ask if he'd like a cup of tea - elderberry syrup, ginger, mullein, lemon balm, fennel, cinnamon, and elecampane. His spirits are high, he's reached another level of communication and understanding (so have we, his parents). Hand gestures and some words, as noted above.

We just had him in a steamy bath with rosemary infused in it,  and a few drops of lavender essential oil. He has a clear, runny rose and loose cough. Seems to be going around.

 Our 2011 elderberry syrup is so dark and rich, while our 2012 brew is lighter.

Jared has a backache and is using lemon balm and Solomon's seal, along with a heating pad and Tiger Balm.

We found a yogurt shake recipe in Leon, a cookbook from the library, that included rolled oats. It made a sweet, hearty blend. After sitting for about 15 minutes, it became a bit gluey but still tasty. I admire my husband who can get multiple foods items on the table all at once. I usually have eggs already cold on a plate and a yogurt shake separating its ingredients while I'm slicing bread for toast...once I sit to eat, the tea water starts to boil. Up again...

I'm enjoying chamomile tea, just to relax - it's been a busy week and I have been reading Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots by Deborah Feldman. A disturbing page turner. Also been using my remedy blend of milky oat tops, nettles, and Equisetum. In the modern age, who doesn't need a nervous system tonic?

No comments:

Post a Comment