Friday, January 25, 2013

in a gravel drive, scat, puddles, and flowers

Baltimore checkerspot and water hemlock - this butterfly seems to emerge when this plant is in bloom.

I wish I was a butterfly, and my only task was to search for flowers, and maybe a tree. Then, my name would be Pearl Crescent or Wood Nymph. 

I would not have to suck in my breath when I saw $223.14 flash on the screen at the grocery store. I would not have a hungry toddler in tow. I would never have to replace tires or get oil changes. No credit card, no library card. No vacuum, no humidifier, no dehumidifier, no propane tank, no phone, no email.

I would find riches in a gravel drive, scat, puddles, and flowers.

 Cabbage white and Corydalis sempervirens

 Pearl crescents and Rudbeckia sp., Delaware Water Gap

 Little wood satyr and sensitive fern, Hopewell

  Spotted purple, Sourlands

 Spotted purple, Sourlands

 Baltimore checkerspot, Sourlands

 Little glassywing and poison ivy, Mercer Meadows, Hopewell

 Great spangled fritillary and New Jersey tea and red clover, Sourlands

 Common buckeye, Sourlands

 Wood satyr, South Branch of the Raritan

 Common wood nymph, Sourlands

 Great spangled fritillary and wild bergamot, Sourlands 

Red admiral and wild bergamot, Sourlands

Skipper species and blazing star in the Sourlands. This is before I took a field trip with the North American Butterfly Association's New Jersey chapter. I promise to do better with the skippers every year. 

Sulphur species and blazing star in the Sourlands

 A butterfly of the Oak Openings preserve in Toledo Ohio and New Jersey tea

A hairstreak species and wild quinine at Koshkonong prairie, just a postage stamp along the roadside, but so lovely.  

 Fritillary species and red clover at Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie

Eastern tiger swallowtail and Japanese maple, Sourlands

White admiral in parking lot, Balsam Mountain, Catskills

No comments:

Post a Comment