Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Dishes Beget Dishes

Aerial view of 2 1/2 days of dishes

My La Leche League buddies of Princeton North chapter always advise moms, especially new moms, to rest. "Leave the dishes. Forget cleaning the bathroom. Take a nap with your baby. If someone comes over, don't play hostess. Ask them to toss a load of laundry in," one mother says. Other mothers nod. "It's your husband's job to ask the company to go when it's time to go," another adds. 

"Lower your standards. If your standards are here," says one mother of two as she holds her hand at eye level. "Then drop them down to here," she finishes, pointing at her shin.

I have recently invited Beren, now two and a half years old, to pull up and chair and join me at the sink a few times per week. He happily rearranges and stacks cups and dishes. My requests are simple: 1. Clean dishes remain on the drying rack. 2. Knives are Momma's only. However, he had the bug that seems to be going around and was not up to the dishes.

Jared and I both had a couple days of field work this week - eight hour days walking off trail through chest high brambles, brambles laid low over wet, mossy rock scrambles, and brambles sodden with rain that had fallen the previous day, rain that had just fallen, or rain falling so intensely that the trail ran with water like a brook and I could hardly see my co-worker 25 feet ahead through the rain and sweat running into my eyes.

So, for a couple nights, we said the heck with the chores. We have thus taken my mother-friends' advice, leaving the dishes for two and a half days. Dishes beget dishes, it seems.

 Post-field work dishes are the worst. Lots of light-weight plastic containers. Lots of water bottles. Oh, how I wish I could conscience buying disposable bags for lunch.

Dishes done. The toaster oven is also cover with at least three Pyrex pans drip-drying.
 New mothers and mothers-to-be, make new friends but keep the old especially if they scrub dishes like gold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment